Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass & Surround quality (popping/static)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass & Surround quality (popping/static)

I've been having a devil of a time trying to debug the popping & static from the Bass/Rear speakers on my Shockwafe 9.2.4. I've tried everything recommended (DF ON/OFF, speaker placement, interference from other devices, etc.). I have a wireless mesh (TP-Link Deco S4) so I can't adjust the 5Ghz bands as far as I know. Have tried bringing up the Shockwafe streaming Bluetooth to occupy a channel, then brining up the mesh and no change.

What is interesting is that the sound quality is good if not perfect when using the TV's (Samsung QT65 QLED) built in apps (i.e. Netflix, HBOMax, etc.) with the Shockwafe hooked up via eARC to the TV. However, when streaming from a Fire TV 4K stick hooked up directly to the Shockwafe, the static & popping is very noticeable and makes it unlistenable. The same for a Nintendo Wii and a Samsung BluRay player. The difference seems to be they are all hooked up directly to the Shockwafe.

Is there some sort of difference in sound performance when hooking devices up directly to the Shockwafe HDMI inputs?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Originally posted by tdreed1265 View Post
    I've been having a devil of a time trying to debug the popping & static from the Bass/Rear speakers on my Shockwafe 9.2.4. I've tried everything recommended (DF ON/OFF, speaker placement, interference from other devices, etc.). I have a wireless mesh (TP-Link Deco S4) so I can't adjust the 5Ghz bands as far as I know. Have tried bringing up the Shockwafe streaming Bluetooth to occupy a channel, then brining up the mesh and no change.

What is interesting is that the sound quality is good if not perfect when using the TV's (Samsung QT65 QLED) built in apps (i.e. Netflix, HBOMax, etc.) with the Shockwafe hooked up via eARC to the TV. However, when streaming from a Fire TV 4K stick hooked up directly to the Shockwafe, the static & popping is very noticeable and makes it unlistenable. The same for a Nintendo Wii and a Samsung BluRay player. The difference seems to be they are all hooked up directly to the Shockwafe.

Is there some sort of difference in sound performance when hooking devices up directly to the Shockwafe HDMI inputs?

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Are you using HDMI 2.0 cables to connect all of your devices? Also, can you try switching the HDMI cables around for each device you have and see if there is any change in the behavior?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm using new HDMI cables capable of 2.0, but I'm not ruling them out as part of the problem either.

As an update, I removed the wireless mesh access point from the room that the Shockwafe is in and that seems to have fixed the "static". I further turned "DF" to OFF which helped quite a bit.

What I'm trying to do now is track down the "popping" and slight "drop outs" from the bass and rear speakers. As you suggest, possible the cables as it's mainly when streaming from the HDMI inputs as opposed to the eARC/TV which seems to perform well now.

Comment

Originally posted by tdreed1265 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm using new HDMI cables capable of 2.0, but I'm not ruling them out as part of the problem either.

As an update, I removed the wireless mesh access point from the room that the Shockwafe is in and that seems to have fixed the "static". I further turned "DF" to OFF which helped quite a bit.

What I'm trying to do now is track down the "popping" and slight "drop outs" from the bass and rear speakers. As you suggest, possible the cables as it's mainly when streaming from the HDMI inputs as opposed to the eARC/TV which seems to perform well now.
        Hi TdReed1265, We're sorry to hear that you are still facing popping issues despite following some of our troubleshooting steps. I have just PM'ed you so that we can work to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X