All Ch Stereo vs Dolby Surr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Ch Stereo vs Dolby Surr

For me it was Dolby Surr before, but after the upgrade, definitely All Ch Stereo!

What's your favorite?

Originally posted by SupremeT View Post
    For me it was Dolby Surr before, but after the upgrade, definitely All Ch Stereo!

What's your favorite?
    By choosing that, does it basically disable Dolby Atmos?

Comment

I'd definitely go for Dolby Surround when watching movies, it gives the height effect sound which is very realistic.

And All Ch Stereo when I’m listening to music or watching the news/sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post

By choosing that, does it basically disable Dolby Atmos?
        I don't think it disables Dolby Atmos. Rather, some of the surround details originally encoded in the Dolby Atmos track will not be played. All Ch stereo is most suitable for stereo content (music, YouTube, etc.) or older content in PCM. Basically, all of the rear speakers will be utilized to duplicate the sound coming from the left and right channels to the left and right rear channels respectively, making the overall sound louder and clearer. It won't really disable Dolby Atmos when you feed Atmos content to the soundbar. Rather, it will read and process the Atmos content as though you were feeding it to a stereo system, followed by the duplication to the rear speakers as described above. However, since Atmos content is usually multichannel (at least 5.1), playing it in All Ch Stereo will mean that the surround details originally encoded to be played from the rear speakers are not played, so Dolby Surr is more recommended for multichannel content in my opinion (at least Dolby Digital 5.1). This includes all Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO and Bluray content.

Comment

Direct modes deal with how audio is distributed (or not) by Dolby technology. Dolby Upmix is an older upmixer that emulates full surround sound (either 7.1, 7.2 or 9.2 channel mixes) without added height effects. Dolby Surr utilizes the SSE processing engine in conjunction with Dolby processing to generate virtual height effects with content that is not encoded in ATMOS (so virtual upmixing to 7.1.4, 7.2.4 and 9.2.4 channels.) For audio with ATMOS metadata you will hear the original mix with some content upmixing (since ATMOS is in 7.1.4 originally, upmixing is necessary for 9.2.4 channel output) So the Dolby Surr mode is suggested for ATMOS content and 5.1 audio for the most accurate true to theatre experience.

Even in "Native" mode (that plays audio as in it's original channel mapping.) Will have effects with Dolby ATMOS content that will be effected by the SSE processor built into our soundbars. The "Stereo" modes turn off SSE processing for either clean "Downmixing" the soundbar/ subwoofers (Stereo Mode) or clean "upmixing" to all channels in the surround sound system (All Channel Stereo.) Stereo audio (PCM and Dolby/ DTS 2.0 formats) will be essentially split left and right, while content in 5.1 or ATMOS this mode will force as much audio as possible into the rear channels, even when the mix does not have any rear channel audio. Since this can effect how the original mix sounds (far greater than Dolby's upmixers that barely effect ATMOS audio) we suggest using this mode to enhance music, older stereo programs, youtube videos and some movies in 5.1 that may benefit from expanding the surround field.

In essence I'd suggest using Dolby Surr for ATMOS/ surround sound (Native if you really need to hear how the raw original mix sounded) and All Channel Stereo for music and other content that is encoded in stereo.

Lastly I will mention DTS upmixers will only effect DTS audio. The direct mode will automatically switch to Neural X if you are on Dolby Surr mode. If you switch back to PCM or Dolby audio your Direct mode will switch back to Dolby Surr automatically.

Comment

Working...
          X