Nvidia Shield outputting PCM sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Shield outputting PCM sound?

I just got the latest 7.2 eARC system. It is connected to my Sony TV that has eARC port.

My primary streaming device is Amazon Fire TV 4K Max (HDMI2) and less used is Nvidia Shield (2017, HDMI3).

When I play any content on Nvidia, and press the INFO button on Soundbar remote, I see the sound as PCM. Why is that so? I have exactly followed the Audio and Video setup instructions using the 'Perfect Device Matching' link.

FWIW, Fire Stick 4K shows me Dolby when I press INFO button.

Hey there, a quick google search showed that Shield owners faced the same issue on some other forum threads. You might want to try the below:

1. Reset your Shield (Note: By performing a factory data reset, all data will be wiped from your SHIELD. Data associated with your Google account can be recovered. Any device settings will also be removed. Do this only if you are fine with the data being wiped out)

2. Check that Advanced Sound Settings > USB Audio Mode = Surround Sound 5.1

3. Check that Advanced Sound Settings > Surround Sound > Dolby Audio Processing = ON, Available Formats = Auto Stereo, Stereo Upmix = OFF, Play comfort noise on HDMI = ON

Let me know!

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by gunicorn View Post
      Hey there, a quick google search showed that Shield owners faced the same issue on some other forum threads. You might want to try the below:

1. Reset your Shield (Note: By performing a factory data reset, all data will be wiped from your SHIELD. Data associated with your Google account can be recovered. Any device settings will also be removed. Do this only if you are fine with the data being wiped out)

2. Check that Advanced Sound Settings > USB Audio Mode = Surround Sound 5.1

3. Check that Advanced Sound Settings > Surround Sound > Dolby Audio Processing = ON, Available Formats = Auto Stereo, Stereo Upmix = OFF, Play comfort noise on HDMI = ON

Let me know!

​​​
      1. Dont want to do this before exhausting all possible options. I have too many apps and re-installing + re-logging in will be a PITA.

2. Surround Sound 5.1 is ON (did it during setup with Naka)

3. Confirmed (did it during setup with Naka)

Comment

If I understand correct, pre-2019 Shield can still 'pass through' Dolby Atmos to Soundbar, ain't it? Please see the attached screenshot from Nvidia's page that also mentions this.

The Reddit link states that:

"Pre-2019 Shields don’t support Dolby Atmos, in the sense that they can’t decode it"

"The devices are perfectly capable of bitstreaming Atmos, but they are not certified so they do not decode Atmos on the Shield and output it in unpacked form"

So, if Shield is passing through Dolby Atmos to Elite 7.2.4 to do the sound processing, why should the INFO button still display PCM 2.0?

Comment

Working...
        X