Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS5 or Xbox Series: Get HDMI 2.1 features(4K120hz, VRR) without losing TrueHD sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS5 or Xbox Series: Get HDMI 2.1 features(4K120hz, VRR) without losing TrueHD sound

As you already know, Nakamichi Soundwafe system is not able to pass-through HDMI 2.1 signals to your TV. So you have to connect the PS5/Xbox straight into the TV( HDMI 2.1 port ) then connect the EARC from your TV back to Shockwafe's ARC. However, since Shockwafe is ARC only that means you cannot get TrueHD signal. After random research, I found a solution to this. You can use a EArc extractor( available on Amazon or Ebay ) to extract the TrueHD signal and send it to the soundbar. I bought the one below( see link ) for around $40 but there is also an expensive version( HDFury link below ). I don't know the difference between cheap and expensive version. I was skeptical at first since not a lot of Youtube videos on these extractors, so I close my eye and bought one on Amazon which I can return if it doesn't work. Well, let's just say I was surprised and these work well but with some flaws, I list them below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.hdfury.com/shop/

Pros
    get HDMI 2.1 along with TrueHD for those with new TV( HDMI 2.1 and EARC ).
    2. if you get subwoofer popping sound coming from devices plug straight into the soundbar, this might solve that issue if you plug into TV and send the audio back to the soundbar. I got this problem when I use my PS5 and it plug into the soundbar. I get no popping sound when I play sound from TV, it's weird and not sure why

Cons
    1. there is an audio delay when you start a video/movie or when you pause&play or fast-forward. The delay is about 5secs, but I'm willing to accept that from TrueHD sound.
    2. you no longer had HDMI-CEC( consumer electionic control ) where you can use your TV remote to control the soundbar, which was very convenient for me. Hard for me to accept it but I grow into it.
    3. Extra HDMI cable and power plug, which is annoying for some.

Nice Find Johnny! I've heard of the HDfury but it is mighty expensive. The other one might be worth considering. Are you using certified HDMI 2.1 cables? Not sure if using lower/inconsistently spec'ed cables anywhere in the chain might be causing the popping noises.

Comment

Thanks. I use the HDMI 2.1 cable that comes with the Xbox. I also bought some Monoprice HDMI 2.1 cable and those are pretty legit. I plug that to the TV and from the TV EArc back to the Soundbar Iust just regular 2.0 cable since TrueHD doesn't required 2.1

About the popping subwoofer, I no longer get that issue since I go from PS5 straight to the TV. I was getting popping sound if I plug the PS5 straight to the soundbar and it doesn't matter which HDMI cable I used.

Comment

Is this delay consistent or does it sinc up after that? 1. there is an audio delay when you start a video/movie or when you pause&play or fast-forward. The delay is about 5secs, but I'm willing to accept that from TrueHD sound

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaSLiM View Post
          Is this delay consistent or does it sinc up after that? 1. there is an audio delay when you start a video/movie or when you pause&play or fast-forward. The delay is about 5secs, but I'm willing to accept that from TrueHD sound
          It's prolly not a delay per-se. It's more like the soundbar taking a few seconds to process before actually playing back TrueHD audio content. Pretty sure the audio is not delayed vs video sync since that would ruin the fun.

Comment

No matter what i play on the ps5, games or movies, i have audio delay

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaSLiM View Post
              No matter what i play on the ps5, games or movies, i have audio delay
              I was able to fix my audio lag issue, I just needed to turn on the audio pass through feature on my TV so that the tv doesn't process the audio first

Comment

Working...
              X